According to the National Institute on Aging, older people are more likely than younger people to become constipated, but it is usually not serious. Increased prevalence of constipation in older adults may be attributed to decreased mobility, comorbid medical conditions, increased use of medications with a constipation side effect profile, and dietary changes.
Constipation is defined as having less than three bowel movements per week. It is, however, very concerning if you strain excessively to pass stool.
Constipation is most commonly caused when waste or stool moves too slowly through the digestive tract or cannot be effectively eliminated from the rectum, causing the stool to become hard and dry. Excessive straining can cause hemorrhoids, anal fissures, fecal impaction, and rectal prolapse.
As providers of private pay home care, we pay close attention to our senior clients’ nutrition and bowel movements. We can help your loved ones live a healthier lifestyle that improves their digestive health with the assistance of our caregivers.
Here are some ways our private pay in Aurora, Colorado, can help your elderly loved one avoid constipation at home:
- Increasing the amount of fiber in their diet.
- Allowing them to drink enough fluids, primarily water.
- Maintaining physical activity through regular exercise or constant housework.
- Encourage the senior to pass stool, especially if they feel the need to use the restroom.
- Making a regular schedule for when they should use the restroom, such as after every meal.
GENUINE HOME CARE AGENCY is a provider of high-quality home care services in Colorado that is dedicated to assisting seniors to improve their quality of life at home. We also offer hospice care in Colorado to help end-of-life clients receive comfortable and compassionate care.